Sunday, June 15, 2008

Waltzing Matilda

So ... things are going rather well down in these parts. The Australians in general are wonderful people. Very friendly, easy to be with, funny, enjoy going out ... it's a good good culture. I've only encountered one not so nice person, and she was Russian.

The nicest thing that happened so far was when I went to the Australia vs. Ireland rugby match a few nights ago. It took place at this big 50,000 + stadium in downtown Melbourne and as we were waiting in line to buy tickets, some guy walked up and just gave us two tickets. They were 15 rows back on the equivalent of the 50 yard line. Rather sweet. Australia won 18 -12, and I must admit, I didn't totally understand the game, but it is a brutal game. Quick moving, heavy hitting and pure force. There is even a blood bin, which people get sent to if they are bleeding too much. It's not as an athletic game (nobody catching passes over the middle, or dribbling through a crowd of defenders) but in terms of pure physical action, it's really insane.

Another wonderful thing about Australia, is that they named the national rugby team the Wallabies. It was the Wallabies vs. Ireland. The national soccer team is the Socceroos.

Everything else is enjoyable, the job is really great so far. I think it's a good match. The city is great, very fun, great neighborhoods, good music/movies/sports, lots of parks. The living is okay ... not the highlight. I live in a nice house, but it's with a grandma (Grandma ... if you are reading this, she's nothing like you). It's a fine location, good for my guests and a nice place, but it definitely isn't my own place. I may look to try a place on my own.

Also ... the blog title. Not trying to endorse Leyton Hewitt, actually don't really like him very much after his racist comment against Blake a few years ago (actually i was trying to play that up in the name ... as in if I ever find you Hewitt.) I liked my father's suggestion of naming it after Toronto Blue Jay great Graeme Lloyd.

Love from a land down under

2 comments:

Instructor: Erin Gleeson said...

Can we go to a Wallabies game when I come?? Fun!

Jeff said...

No Ma is like Audrey, grand or otherwise.

Glad you're getting a healthy sporting diet. What was the face value of those tix?

Curious about the food there.