Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tomorrow isn't looking so bad

Let me just begin by telling those of you in the United States that today is fantastic. When it arrives (in 17 hours for my california readers) you'll know what I'm talking about! If you want any gambling advice, let me know, because the events end earlier here and I'll know the final outcome. For instance the Mets will beat the Phillies 6-3 with a dinger by Reyes in the bottom of the 6th. I'll bring some sports almanacs back when I return.

All else is good. I've got a busy weekend approaching with programs and activities most of Saturday and Sunday. I even had to turn down a footy invite because I've got to do this thing called Havdalah. (The person that invited me said "if you don't want to go just say so ... you don't need to make up fake celebrations to get out of it.")

Switching gears ... in the I'm learning more than I could ever imagine department -- I officiated my first ever funeral yesterday. It was a small funeral for a 94 year old woman who was pretty healthy until last weekend so it wasn't tragic, but nevertheless it was a pretty good learning experience for me. I think I handled it all pretty well. I wasn't even too nervous and there weren't that many people there (only friends ... she didn't have much of a family, she escaped Austria in 1939) and I think her friends felt rather comforted at the end.

I spent last night at the Democrats Abroad Happy Hour, they were selling Obama pins and shirts. Mostly older people who had been living in Aus for a while because they had married an Australian. I didn't stay too long, but enjoyed hanging out and having a beer or two with other political junkies. My two cents on the New Yorker cover: Shouldn't of been an issue, it's the New Yorker. I think the Obama campaign played up the cover to mask the information about him being such a calculating politician in the article.

Next post will be the Annual July Australia quiz ... so brush up on your Aussie history.

1 comment:

SSJ said...

Nice, figured out the RSS feed so I can actually keep up with your posts. Wish I could have planned a visit, looks like a great time, although pretty cold. When do you return to the states?