Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The third corey ...

First and foremost, do you know about Corey? My friend Sam sent me this link about six months ago and if you have never seen it, you are in for a treat. More importantly Corey is a member of one of the synagogues I'm working at.

You'll notice in the clip that the news anchor really gives Corey a hard time. In a twisted way, it's kind of indicative of how the TV reporting is on the whole in this country. No kid gloves for politicians or athletes - the journalists ask sharp questions. I once saw an interview in which the the TV anchor asked an Australian politician if he knew how to say "I'm killing whales" in Japanese after he voted on an extended trade bill between the two countries.

Don't get me wrong they still follow the British tabloid system of having the trashiest news on the cover of the paper, break-ups and babies. The big news now is two swimmers who recently split and how this may impact medal chances in Beijing. I'm serious -- this is above the fold major news. Speaking of trash, Australia rivals the USA for stupid sports announcers. I was watching a tennis match the other day and at 5-4 in the last set tie break, the announcer decided to tell the viewing audience "This is a big point." Thanks buddy!

In broader Melbourne News. I really like the city. It's a nice big city feel with really great neighborhoods, cafes, sports venues, museums, markets, etc... Last night I saw a movie from the Melbourne Film Festival. I've included a picture of myself strolling through some one of the Melbournian Gardens as well as a shot of the massive rainbow that spread over the entire city yesterday afternoon (I wasn't in a place to get a good photo). The job has taken me to a lot of parts of the City that I'd never visit otherwise. Little suburban neighborhoods (here the "suburbs" are part of the city, not suburbs like Fairfield or West Hartford, rather more like Brooklyn Heights or Astoria) with cool little streets and shopping corridors. Don't get me wrong there are boring areas as well, but all in all its a great city.

Thanks for the upswing in posts -- nothing I enjoy seeing more than that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jeff said...

You're kidding. Corey is a member? Any bar mitzvah photos on the walls of the temple to pass around?

Say hi, and tell him New York doesn't want its hat back.