Monday, August 11, 2008

Croc it to me ...

Leyton's playing Tennis in the Olympics. He won a recent doubles match 18-16 in the final set. He also lost to Nadal in the Singles tournament, I guess there is no real shame in losing to Rafa these days.

Australia is Olympic mad. The media will interview anyone with any connection to an Olympic athlete -- I was watching the other the day and the Father-In-Law of one of the swimmers was being interviewed. They love this swimmer named Stephanie Rice (one commentary said "China is crazy for Rice") and pretty much all of there top athletes, mainly swimmers and rowers. Maybe one of our loyal Beijing Readers can give us a Stephanie Rice update.

All else is great. Hard to believe that I'm winding down my time til I depart Aussie. Erin arrived and is having a grand old time. We've taken a few day trips, explored a little bit of Melbourne and we are off to the Great Barrier Reef in a few days. She wrote two food related blogs one about the Queen Victoria Market and the other about Jam Donuts. One of the day trips we went on was to the Mornington Peninsula and the other was to the Yarra Valley (think Aussie Wine Country). We also checked out the Footy and the Melbourne Film Festival. Chris Rock was performing the other night and we tried to get tickets but one seat was going at about 150 dollars.

I've been rather busy. I've been teaching a lot. The other night they asked me to teach about 1000 years of Jewish History in 45 minutes. I started out the talk by saying "3000 years of beautiful tradition from Moses to Sandy Koufax, you're God Damn right I'm living in the f***ing past. " (I left our the f***ing part)

A few photos.


Melbourne and the Yarra

On the Mornington Peninsula

At the footy (Note this photo was taken after the game was over! Naturally, like all good sports fans both Erin and I refused to annoy the crazy Aussie masses around us by subjecting them to the awful spectacle that is photo snapping tourists at sporting events)

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Congrats to your boy James Blake!